You may have heard of the saying “40 is the new 20.” While some may agree to this when it comes to lifestyle, other women with obvious signs of skin ageing who are in their 40s may beg to disagree.
We all know that body changes are unavoidable. When it comes to ageing, the skin sometimes knows no boundaries. If improperly cared for, it can look dull, dry, wrinkly, and saggy. This is why there are people who look old despite their young age.
What if there is actually a treatment suitable for individuals who are in their prime years of 40s that can slash off years away from the face and look young again? Will you try it?
What is HIFU Facelift?
A non-invasive and non-surgical procedure that uses advanced aesthetic technology to tighten and bring back youthful skin is called HIFU Facelift. HIFU stands for High Intensity Focused Ultrasound.
As mentioned in its name, HIFU uses ultrasound technology to treat certain signs of skin ageing.
How does HIFU technology work?
HIFU uses intense ultrasound energy at high frequencies and delivers this deep into the layers of the skin, with the goal of heating the tissues beneath the skin and activating collagen production. The new collagen developed leads to the improvement of the skin’s elasticity and gives it a lifting and tightening effect.
What are the problem areas in the body that HIFU can treat?
High Intensity Focused Ultrasound (HIFU) mainly targets the problem areas on the face. These are:
- Crow’s feet (wrinkles found at the corner of the eyes)
- Fine lines
- Forehead wrinkles
- Glabellar lines (lines between the eyebrows)
- Nasolabial folds (laugh lines)
- Sagging skin (chin, jowls, neck, and other parts of the body)
Who are the best candidates for this youth restoring treatment?
The best candidates for this youth restoring treatment are individuals who:
- Are 40 years old and above
- Have mild to moderate skin sagging
- Have obvious signs of skin ageing, such as those mentioned above
- Are not pregnant or breastfeeding
- Are not diagnosed with diabetes or epilepsy
- Have no existing skin condition, such as acne, herpes rashes, and any type of skin irritation
- Have no chronic neurological diseases
- Have no tumours (benign or malignant)
- Have no metal implants in the treatment area
- Have no electrical device or pacemaker in the body
Is HIFU safe?
This is a tricky question. The accurate answer that we can give is it depends where you get your HIFU treatment done.
There are a lot of beauty salons around Singapore that offer “mini HIFU” procedures at unbelievably cheap and too good to be true prices. Frankly speaking, these treatments do not have the same effect that a legitimate HIFU procedure can give and may only cause further damage to the skin.
Medical grade HIFU treatments in Singapore use expensive equipment that is available in clinics that are approved and registered under the Ministry of Health. A HIFU procedure is done in one full session (not mini) and is administered by doctors that are trained to handle such a device. To be sure that you are getting the gold standard of HIFU treatment, check with your chosen aesthetic service provider if their equipment is authentic. The commonly used HIFU devices in Singapore are Ultraformer, Ulthera, and Sygmalift. These are the brands that you can trust.
How long will a HIFU procedure take?
A HIFU procedure belongs to a category of aesthetic treatments called “lunchtime treatments.” Treatments of this kind are done in approximately 90 minutes or less, quick enough to insert over your lunch break.
What results can be expected?
Immediately after the procedure, patients can expect to see lesser wrinkles and observe a tightened and lifted skin. This gives an effect of a more youthful appearance and glow. The effect of HIFU continues to deliver even after treatment. As the body produces more collagen, the skin becomes more rejuvenated and tightened over the next few months. The complete effect of a HIFU treatment usually lasts for up to 12 months.
What about side effects?
There may be side effects after a HIFU procedure; however these are minor and temporary. The most common are the following:
- Feeling of tenderness or soreness when skin is touched; usually resolves within 2 to 4 weeks
- Mild swelling that may last for about 3 days
- Skin discolouration or redness
- Skin sensitivities or loss of sensation in some parts treated that may last for a week
Note that some of these side effects rarely happen and you should not worry about anything if your HIFU treatment is done by a qualified aesthetic doctor.
391B Orchard Rd #08-05A2 Tower B Ngee Ann City,
+65 6733 6729